What’s up, beautiful people?! It’s been more than a minute since I actually wrote something, rather than posting random videos. I’ve missed y’all!
I’ve been on kind of a total self-care journey. It’s been challenging, to say the least. I’m the sort of person who likes to believe that I’m superhuman. You know, that basic things like proper nutrition, rest and taking time for myself, are optional. It took a series of health issues to make me come to the realization that I’m far from a super hero. I’ve retired my cape and put on my glasses. Which is why I can finally clearly see that I’ve got to take care of me, because no one else is in line for the job. And that’s ok. In fact, it’s more than just ok. It’s a privilege I’ve been given by virtue of simply being alive and grown!
With that privilege comes choices. The choice to do things that feed my mind, body, spirit and soul. I invite you all to do the same and to that effect, here’s a list of things you can do this weekend to remind yourself that YOU MATTER. I hope you find something that resonates with you and decide to gift yourself with it. You deserve it!
Do you, Boo:
- Pick flowers in your backyard and display them around your home.
- Buy a bouquet of flowers and put them on your nightstand. They’ll be the first thing you see when you wake up!
- Binge watch your favorite T.V. series or find a new one to fall in love with.
- Go for a walk that’s purely for pleasure.
- Paint your toenails an obnoxious color.
- Create a spa in your bathroom. Spend the evening soaking in a tub and reading a book by candlelight.
- Sleep in without guilt.
- Send your kids to a family member or friends’s house and do whatever you want this weekend.
- Go to a matinee with a friend or by yourself!
- Light a scented candle a do a breathing mediation.
- Go get a pedicure or massage.
- Experiment with a new recipe you’ve been wanting to try.
- Invite friends of family over for game night.
- Eat something decadent without feeling guilty.
- Make it a Staycation weekend and explore your city/town.
- Go for a scenic drive/bus ride and allow your mind to wander.
- Go for a nature walk at your nearest national park.
- Sit outside and look at the Sunset or count stars.
- Read your daily devotional outdoors and take time afterwards to reflect on it while sitting in the sun.
- Make a picnic and take it to the park.
- Participate in a group sport or exercise class.
- Find a yoga practice online and try it out.
- Go to bed early.
- Call a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while and talk for hours.
- Get your hair done.
- Try a new hobby you’ve been putting off.
- Go to a fancy restaurant and only order dessert.
- Blow bubbles.
- Spend some time talking to a five year old. They know everything.
- Write a letter to your younger self. Then write one to your future self. Pick any ages.
- Write a letter to a loved one who has passed on.
- Allow yourself to have a good hard cry if you feel like it.
- Allow yourself to laugh ’til it hurts if you feel like it.
- Allow yourself time to dream.
- Allow yourself time to plan for those dreams and convert them to goals.
- Play in your own make-up.
- Snuggle up with someone you love and watch a tearjerker or rom-com.
- Read a book cover to cover in one sitting ( and don’t dare think about the laundry, dishes, etc)
- Organize something, if that floats your boat.
- Tell someone you love them.
- Make a list of your best qualities and refer to it every time you feel like you’re not good enough.
- Write an affirmation to yourself in lipstick on your bathroom mirror. ( Don’t worry, it wipes right off!)
- Dance like everyone’s watching and you got all the moves, even if you don’t.
- Sing at the top of your lungs.
- Lay on your couch and just listen to music.
- Put your phone on silent and take a much needed break.
This list could go on and on, but you guys get the picture. You don’t have to spend a lot of money, or even any money, to take time for yourself. Remember, if your tank is empty you don’t have anything to give. Now, I’m off to binge watch Parenthood. I’m on a mission to find out if there’s a single episode where nobody cries. I’m halfway through season 2 and it hasn’t happened yet. See y’all next time!
What’s your favorite self-care act? Tell us about it in the comments below!